Everyone gets it. There are no immunization shots for it. However, the important thing to remember when faced with writer’s block is to know....it is curable. The following strategies will boost your immune system and help you rebound better than ever.
1. Do not pressure yourself. In other words if you force your brain to write on command you could experience performance anxiety.
2. Work on another project or play some relaxing music. Music by master composers such as Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky and the like have been reported to be “music for the soul.”
3. Keep a notebook with you at all times to record thoughts, memories, jokes, dreams and so forth. Having simple items like this available when writer’s block rears its ugly head will provide you with multiple writing prompts to jump start your creativity.
4. Read a great book by a favorite author. This will do wonders and give you an itch to write for yourself. It will give you “I can do this” attitude.
5. Change your writing environment. If you are glued to your computer, take pen and notebook to your local library and write away. What better place to be inspired than in a room full of great books.
6. Get rid of the little dictator in your head that keeps pounding in your brain. Stand up and walk away. Do anything but write. Doing something physical like walking or jumping jacks is a great way to stimulate your creativity.
7. Take a ride to the park and meditate on nature. Think how awesome our world is and be thankful.
8. Write out of your genre. If you write fiction, write a short article on non-fiction. A little research on a subject unknown to you is one of the best ways to stimulate your creative mind.
9. Relax. The more you worry the harder it is to think clearly. Remember you are what you think.
10. Just do it. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Don’t worry if words don’t make sense at all. In most cases after you have written about a half page your mind will begin filling up with ideas faster than you can type. The excitement builds and you are writing again!
Write it down,