Sunday, April 15, 2007

It's All About the Tummy Rub


Meet Taylor. She is my nine year old Pomeranian and she lives for the tummy rub.
Today when I was giving her the required tummy rub after her walk, I began to think about how we humans thrive on a phrase, word, or touch that says "I'm OK, You're OK".
What drives us to continually seek out approval from our peers, family and even strangers?
Are we searching for new answers to old problems? Thomas Harris' book says most people by age three are saying "I'm Not OK - You're OK" . So those of us who are still in that stage resort to withdrawal, games and rituals in order to get our strokes and avoid painful contact with people who are percieved as OK.
I read this book about 35 years ago and it is time to revisit it.
Write it down,
Karma

No comments:

Post a Comment